Using essential oils with your malas and bracelets
Move aside diffusers, did you know that you can use essential oils with your rosewood or lava bracelets and malas?
Applying essential oils to these beads is a nifty way to incorporate essential oils into your daily life and provides a whole new way to use your mala and bracelet as well.
Essential oils have long been touted for their wide-ranging benefits for mood, energisation, and relaxation. Here are some of my favourite essential oils, and their associated effects:
- Peppermint– increases your energy levels, helps open your airways
- Ylang-Ylang– reduces tension and can help release negative emotions
- Frankincense– promotes internal peace, calm and focus
- Lavender– calming and stress relieving
- Rosewood – inspires, calms and energises for yoga and creative activities like painting and writing. Also has antibacterial, stress-relieving and skin-benefit properties
It’s important to make sure you’re using a mala or bracelet with natural lava beads. These beads are crafted from igneous rock formed during volcanic eruptions, making them dark in colour and highly porous. This porous nature is what gives lava beads the ability to carry essential oils. Rosewood is also porous, making it an ideal carrier for the oil.
This is especially great if you’re looking to cut out synthetic perfume and opt for more natural alternatives instead. Simply choose your favourite essential oil, or create your own blend by adding different oils to different beads.
Tips for applying essential oils your mala
- Only use 1-2 drops of oil on your mala beads to avoid an overpowering scent
- Let the oil absorb into the beads for at least one minute to avoid oils stains on your clothing
- Apply the oil to a cotton tip or your fingertip to apply it to the beads
- If you have sensitive skin, mix your essential oil with a neutral carrier oil like coconut or almond oil to minimise skin irritation
- You may need to reapply the oil throughout the day to maintain the scent intensity
Don’t have a rosewood or lava bead mala or bracelet? Shop my beautiful range here.