Your mala is a very personal spiritual tool and choosing your mala could be seen as a ritual in itself. Take the time to consider what mala is right for you. There is no wrong way. Mala beads mean something different or serve a different purpose for each of us.
Here are some tips to help you through the process.
You can choose your mala based on the intention or energy that you would like to cultivate more of in your life.
When selecting your mala you might like to consider what it is you would like to manifest. What would you like more or less of in your life?
Sit with these questions for a while and reflect on the answers that come to you as you mull them over. Use this information to guide you in making your decision.
Mala beads properties
The materials used to make mala beads all have their own unique and specific vibrations and metaphysical properties. These can guide you when choosing your mala beads.
You might be drawn to a mala with lava stones and Rudraksha seeds to help with grounding or an Amethyst mala to help with healing and to encourage you to feel calm and gain focus.
Not sure where to start? The Crystal Bible will show you all you need to know about which crystals you might like in your mala.
You can also select a mala based on the colour of the stones. Specific colours resonate with us in different ways and are considered by many to have different meanings and properties.
Pink mala beads
- Represents: love, compassion, tolerance
- Associated properties: loving kindness, harmony, self-compassion
- Suggested crystals/stones: Rose Quartz, Rhodochrosite, Pink Tourmaline
Orange mala beads
- Represents: prana (life force energy) enthusiasm, determination
- Associated properties: abundance, joy, creativity
- Suggested crystals/stones: Carnelian
Yellow mala beads
- Represents: self-esteem, energy, intellect
- Associated properties: confidence, vitality, focus
- Suggested crystals/stones: Amber, Citrine
Purple mala beads
- Represents: knowledge, intuition, insight
- Associated properties: transformation, healing, reflection
- Suggested crystals: Amethyst, Kunzite
Green mala beads
- Represents: growth, harmony, fertility
- Associated properties: soothing, cleansing, restoring
- Suggested crystals/stones: Green Aventurine, Jade, Peridot
Brown mala beads
- Represents: nature, earthiness, stability
- Associated properties: nurturing, grounding, supportive
- Suggested crystals/stones: Smokey Quartz, Rudraksha seeds, Tiger’s Eye
Blue mala beads
- Represents: communication, truth, clear thought
- Associated properties: calming, serenity, understanding
- Suggested crystals/stones: Lapis Lazuli, Angelite, Amazonite
White mala beads
- Represents: innocence, purity, cleanliness
- Associated properties: balance, harmony, simplicity
- Suggested crystals/stones: Moonstone, Opal, Howlite
Black mala beads
- Represents: power, elegance, security
- Associated properties: protection, shielding, clarifying
- Suggested crystals/stones: Black Tourmaline, Obsidian, Lava
Chakra is a Sanskrit word that means ‘wheel’ or ‘disk’. Essentially a chakra is a spinning orb of energy or light. It holds your Prana or life force energy.
When your chakras are open and balanced or aligned this energy flows freely. In this state of flow there is a calm that exist within you and your mind, body and spirit are in harmony.
If one or more of your chakras are blocked or unbalanced it is suggested that it can manifest in your life either mentally, emotionally or physically.
Each chakra is associated with particular colours and connected to different crystals that are said to help with unblocking and balancing their corresponding chakras.
1st Chakra: Muladhara – root chakra
- Crystals/stones: Smokey Quartz, Black Tourmaline, Obsidian
- Colour: red
2nd Chakra: Svadhisthana – sacral chakra
- Crystals/stones: Carnelian, Bloodstone, Orange Aventurine
- Colour: orange
3rd Chakra: Manipura – solar plexus chakra
- Crystals/stones: Tiger’s Eye, Citrine, Amber
- Colour: yellow
4th Chakra: Anahata – heart chakra mala
- Crystals/stones: Rose Quartz, Rhodochrosite, Green Aventurine
- Colour: green
5th Chakra: Vishuddha – throat chakra
- Crystals/stones: Topaz, Angelite, Amazonite
- Colour: turquoise/aqua
6th Chakra: Ajna – third eye chakra
- Crystals/stones: Lapis Lazuli, Sodalite
- Colour: indigo/dark blue
7th Chakra: Sahasrara – crown chakra
- Crystals/stones: Clear Quartz, Moonstone, Labradorite, Amethyst
- Colour: purple
If this method of choosing a mala resonates with you check out Seeds of Wonder’s chakra mala collection.
Zodiac birth stone
You might like to select a mala that includes stones linked to your zodiac sign. Here are some ideas to consider.
Aries: Bloodstone, Clear Quartz
Taurus: Rose Quartz, Smokey Quartz
Gemini: Labradorite, Moonstone
Cancer: Moonstone, Black Tourmaline
Leo: Peridot, Tiger’s Eye
Virgo: Amazonite, Green Aventurine
Libra: Tourmaline, Opal
Scorpio: Citrine, Rhodochrosite
Sagittarius: Lapis Lazuli, Turquoise
Capricorn: Tiger’s Eye, Obsidian
Aquarius: Garnet, Silver
Pisces: Amethyst, Ocean Jasper
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, pay close attention to your intuition. If you feel drawn to a certain mala, it is likely the one that you need in that moment. Let your heart and soul lead you.
Gifting a mala?
If you are looking to gift a mala to that special someone it can feel overwhelming knowing which one to pick. Here are some questions that might help guide you to the perfect gift.
- Are they struggling with something at the moment?
- Are they looking to manifest a dream or achieve a goal they are passionate about?
- Do they have a favourite colour or crystal?
- What is their birthstone?
- Do they prefer simple or intricate designs?
- Will they use it for meditation?
Consider the answers to these questions and keep the answers in mind when you are choosing. They will help guide you to a mala that will resonate with your friend.
If you are repeatedly drawn to a particular mala when you are shopping for your friend listen to your intuition. If you are strongly connecting to a particular design it is likely that this is the right one to pick. It really can be as simple as that!
Seeds of Wonder Mala Collection
You can check out Seeds of Wonder’s handmade mala range here. Remember to keep checking back for new designs.
More about malas
Interested in more information on malas? Check out our blog ‘Malas – for deeper meditation and mindfulness’.
Enjoyed reading this?
Enter your details below to get a copy emailed to your inbox, along with future updates and special offers from Seeds of Wonder!
IMPORTANT: Descriptions of crystal, stones, chakra and colour properties and meanings are for spiritual support and guidance ONLY and are not provided as healthcare information. They are not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. For medical advice, diagnosis and treatment please consultant a licensed healthcare professional.